Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is the point?

What should the CEO of Delta make?

I was responding to pilotyip's remarks about an article in ATW.....

To answer your question, I really don't care what the CEO makes. I do however, care a great deal when I'm not paid what I'm worth and am told to take cuts by the same group who pay themselves enormous bonuses year after year....

Last edited:
You're not considering the sample size.

There are 12,000 pilots at Delta - no surprise their combined salaries are greater than the sum of a measley 17 executives.

Delta Captains in the 747-400 and 777 are on the highest payscales among the pilots. They can gross from $250 - $300K/year.

CEO Richard Anderson made $8.9 million last year. (not the top 17 executives - just one man!) It would take TWENTY-NINE 747/777 Captains to equate to just a single executive at Delta.

Yes, your guess that a similar situation exists at NJ is correct. :mad:
The article refered to individuals, not the sum of Capt pay. It stated there were 17 employees at DAL in 2001 that made more than the top Captain at around $300K. The total combined salaries of those 17 employees made up 1/6 of 1% of the totlal DAL payroll. Not even a drop in the bucket. What is the percentage of exec compensation to total payroll at NJ?

The article refered to individuals, not the sum of Capt pay. It stated there were 17 employees at DAL in 2001 that made more than the top Captain at around $300K. The total combined salaries of those 17 employees made up 1/6 of 1% of the totlal DAL payroll. Not even a drop in the bucket. What is the percentage of exec compensation to total payroll at NJ?

In a company with 80,000 people on the payroll, even CEO Anderson's $8,900,000.00 only amounts to $112 per employee.

Divided up among such a large group, of course it doesn't add up to much of a drop in the bucket.

What would be more instructive is if the article compared average pay of those 17 executives to average salary of the remaining 79,983 employees.

So to paraphrase gret, "what is the point?" Was the article trying to make a case in defense of DAL executive pay?

In a company with 80,000 people on the payroll, even CEO Anderson's $8,900,000.00 only amounts to $112 per employee.

Divided up among such a large group, of course it doesn't add up to much of a drop in the bucket.

What would be more instructive is if the article compared average pay of those 17 executives to average salary of the remaining 79,983 employees.

So to paraphrase gret, "what is the point?" Was the article trying to make a case in defense of DAL executive pay?

I think the point is, and one with which I agree, is that management pay has no bearing on the fairness of pilot pay. And that the total of upper management compensation is inconsequential in the overall scheme of things.

I was responding to pilotyip's remarks about an article in ATW.....

To answer your question, I really don't care what the CEO makes. I do however, care a great deal when I'm not paid what I'm worth and am told to take cuts by the same group who pay themselves enormous bonuses year after year....

What are we worth? Who decides? What if you believe you are worth 300000 and your employer thinks you are worth 120000? Who is right? What if you both agree you are worth 300000, but paying the pilots that much puts the employer out of business? Is that a good thing, and are you really worth that much in this scenario?

Not in defense of DAL CEO pay, the pay although it may be obscene is in the big picture not alot of money compared to the total payroll.

What are we worth? Who decides? What if you believe you are worth 300000 and your employer thinks you are worth 120000? Who is right? What if you both agree you are worth 300000, but paying the pilots that much puts the employer out of business? Is that a good thing, and are you really worth that much in this scenario?

The company thinks we're worth minimum wage. Anything past that is what we bargain for. Sit back and maybe you'll learn a thing or two about why pilots get paid what we do.

Who decides? Management decides. It's up to them to decide what they are willing to pay and how that affects the Profit/Loss statement.

The point is not what we are worth G4 but what we are able to ask for. If you start devaluing your worth from the start then you will always be paid accordingly.

Bottom line, you are labor, you are not management. It's up to you to ask for a raise and it's up to them to decide if they are willing or able to give it to you. If you however never ask, you will never get one.

BTW, what concrete evidence do you have that NJA can't afford a pay increase?

Latest resources

Back