Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dornier 335

Hey XJTers!

I need your input about international jumpseating on you guys as an OAL. A couple of weeks ago I was trying to go from IAH to a smaller airport in Mexico. I had never used you guys before, so I arrived about 3 hours ahead of departure time. Gate was B66, I think. My first odd impression was that none of the gate agents in this satellite concourse knew how to list me on a flight (despite the fact that roughly three quarters of the flight departures were going to Mexico). I finally found someone, who was very helpful. She listed me, and gave the print out slip for the captain.

Departure time came, I went down the jetway, introduced myself to the crew, and just as I was getting comfortable in seat 12A the captain came up to me and said that there is a problem. As a OAL I am not on the GenDec and I cannot be listed as a pax. I have jumpseated in the past on several airlines and I have never come across this issue (I was in uniform at the time). There was a slight mx issue, so I talked a little more with the captain. He even went as far and called his CP, but he couldn't get me on the flight. The only person that really annoyed me was the Asian redcoat with her “couldn't give a sh!t” attitude. 5 minutes before departure time she told me to go to my airline and buy an ID90 ticket! (There's only one flight/day to where I wanted to go and she was there from the beginning when I tried to get listed).

Long story short: I couldn't get on the flight. I went down to mainline Continental and 30 minutes later I was in the back in their 738 down to MEX. Go figure!

So, after all this drama, how can you travel to and from Mexico on XJT as an OAL?

We cant take OAL international, only our own guys. Reason being is CAL cant figure out how to program a JS computer so we have to use the paper forms. The gate agents then cant put you into the computer for the Gen Dec to be electronically sent to wherever it goes. If CAL could figure out how to get us into the computerized JS system and away from the paper forms it wouldnt be an issue.

This isnt something we do to screw OAL guys. Hell WE couldnt even JS internationally on our own metal for quite a while, but they got that squared away(its still a really ********************ed up procedure, but it can at least be done).

We cant take OAL international, only our own guys. Reason being is CAL cant figure out how to program a JS computer so we have to use the paper forms. The gate agents then cant put you into the computer for the Gen Dec to be electronically sent to wherever it goes. If CAL could figure out how to get us into the computerized JS system and away from the paper forms it wouldnt be an issue.

This isnt something we do to screw OAL guys. Hell WE couldnt even JS internationally on our own metal for quite a while, but they got that squared away(its still a really ********************ed up procedure, but it can at least be done).

Can an OAL pilot sit in the cabin inter nation on a XJT flight in the UAL system? How about Colgan, can they allow a OLA in the cabin on the Q400?

Don't know about Colgan, but no you can't sit in the cabin on the old COEX routes. On the UAX side most agents know how to list you for a Jumpseat, but sitting in the cabin. While technically you aren't allowed, as long as you have been added to the passenger manifest there really is no problem. Most captains probably still wouldn't let you ride as it is not specifically authorized. I am not one of those. Getting listed by the gate on the manifest is the big hurdle, then just hope for a captain who's cool.

Can an OAL pilot sit in the cabin inter nation on a XJT flight in the UAL system? How about Colgan, can they allow a OLA in the cabin on the Q400?

I honestly dont know about UAL, but I imagine that its ok, in the cabin because they are all electronic for the listing(for now, rumor is they are switching away from their system over to the archaic CAL system).

Getting listed by the gate on the manifest is the big hurdle

bingo

Latest resources

Back