Ipods in the cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Esprit

Does anyone know if it is illegal yet to have your Ipod turned on in the cockpit while at cruise?

ESPRIT

Does anyone know if it is illegal yet to have your Ipod turned on in the cockpit while at cruise?

ESPRIT

You're flightcrew, you can do whatever you want.
I have an electronic logbook on my IPhone, so it must be powered on in order to enter times. Before takeoff, simply disable any signal transmission (put phone in airplane mode) and don't worry about it. (obviously make sure it's off if you have a fed or check airman on board, they get off on that type of thing)

Last edited:
You're flightcrew, you can do whatever you want.
I have an electronic logbook on my IPhone, so it must be powered on in order to enter times. Before takeoff, simply disable any signal transmission (put phone in airplane mode) and don't worry about it. (obviously make sure it's off if you have a fed or check airman on board, they get off on that type of thing)

Make sure you talk about it so the recorder can hear. The NTSB and the passengers lawyers "get off" on that type of stuff also.

They won't know what an Ipod is.

Yes and no. I know several Inspectors that either have Ipods or are knowledgable enough to know what they are. I also know some who are still working at the on/off switch on their office computer.....

To answer the OP, let me ask you this legal or not...

When seconds can count to avoid a mid air you want to be distracted by an ipod? I know the hours and hours of boredom seperated by the seconds of terror. it is the seconds of terror that your passengers and bosses are paying you to be ready for.

Last edited:
When seconds can count to avoid a mid air you want to be distracted by a newspaper? I know the hours and hours of boredom seperated by the seconds of terror. it is the seconds of terror that your passengers and bosses are paying you to be ready for.

Fixed that for you. :rolleyes:

Yes and no. I know several Inspectors that either have Ipods or are knowledgable enough to know what they are. I also know some who are still working at the on/off switch on their office computer.....

To answer the OP, let me ask you this legal or not...

When seconds can count to avoid a mid air you want to be distracted by an ipod? I know the hours and hours of boredom seperated by the seconds of terror. it is the seconds of terror that your passengers and bosses are paying you to be ready for.

An extraordinarily pedestrian take on the subject. Given such lack of discretion, one had best avoid listening to the radio while driving: such "distractions" might preclude you from avoiding collisions.

Utter rubbish.

An extraordinarily pedestrian take on the subject. Given such lack of discretion, one had best avoid listening to the radio while driving: such "distractions" might preclude you from avoiding collisions.

Utter rubbish.

Well you maybe right.

Why don't you put your opinion to a test. On your next flight make a PA that you will be "relaxing to the radio or reading the paper for a while and not to worry, you feel it is an adquate level of safety".

If my comment is so Pedestrian - - then you will not become - a Pedestrian.....

Well you maybe right.

Maybe. In any case, why parrot such pious nonsense? Most of us listen to music while flying, and many of us in full view of pax. You needn't imply that this one liberty, demonstrably benign, and arguably among the last, makes the extreme balance of pilots a bunch of cavalier a**holes.

Why don't you put your opinion to a test. On your next flight make a PA that you will be "relaxing to the radio or reading the paper for a while and not to worry, you feel it is an adquate level of safety".

Not needed. For many years, pax have observed me inserting my ear buds in cruise flight. Not. One. Comment.

Why, all that's left is for some imbecile to call attention to the practice with trumped-up, baseless, and completely outrageous allegations that render the practice of listening to music while flying little better than horse-play.

If my comment is so Pedestrian - - then you will not become - a Pedestrian.....

Yeah, ehh, OK.

Hey, sometimes I eat in flight too! Often, it requires the use of both hands! Can you imagine the calamity that could ensue with hands removed from the control column for extended periods of time?! Goddammit!

The safest course-of-action, arguably, (think of what the passengers are paying us for!) would be for both pilots to grasp the controls, hands on the yokes and power levers, feet on the pedals--for the entire flight.

When seconds count, when TCAS targets materialize out of nowhere, at two-point-five miles, at FL470: absolute-f*cking-safety, absolutely all the time, I say.

Or...

Why rely on the rather lax regulations on the usage of oxygen masks enforced upon us by the FAA? Would not the safest practice be for pilots to wear masks above ten-thousand feet? Why take unreasonable chances? From this moment on, to honor the highest level of safety, beyond what government functionaries deem appropriate, and for the benefit of our passengers, we shall don masks at ten.

It takes TWO people to safely operate a transport-category aircraft, after all, and a catastrophic decompression can happen at any time!

No, no...that simply won't do. After further investigation, I've determined that human beings strapping themselves into metal tubes, propelled by tons of exploding chemicals at trans-mach speed through the stratosphere is an inherently dangerous practice altogether.

The risks are manageable, it is argued by some, but the stakes are simply too high should the unthinkable occur. In the interest of prudence, to say nothing of passenger safety, perhaps the safest alternative is to arrange travel at jogging speed in padded boxcars.

This, JAFI, is where the path of idiocy you suggest eventually carries us.

Contemplate this, when next you feel reverent.

Latest resources

Back