Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mach tuck

Fellow Flightinfo-ers,

I’m considering leaving my 9-5 desk job (for many reasons) and returning to living the dream as an airline pilot. I’ve been out of the profession for a few years after passing up a recall so I’m trying to conduct as much research as possible before applying. This is essentially a complete restart of my aviation career so I’m not taking anything lightly. My times are +2000 total, 1000 turbine with previous 121.

Which company(s) is in the position for the most growth in the next 2-4 years?

Which company(s) has the fastest upgrade?

Which company(s) has trip/duty rigs?

Which company(s) has the most commutable schedules?

Which company(s) to avoid…and why?

Thanks for any insight on helping me make the most informed decision.

I was out for a year and went from captain 60-70K to back as a first officer making 20-30K, starting over at a different regional. And here I still sit as I am just rounding the four year mark. Some of my 13 years has been bad choices on my part but most has just been bad luck. Everyone has a story and I don't know yours so only you can make that call. All I can say to help is, what seems to be a good life for some, may not be for someone else. Good luck to you.

Which company(s) is in the position for the most growth in the next 2-4 years?

I don't know that any are, there is no forseeable growth in the regional industry unless somebody gives up a lot of scope or the economy miraculously improves and major's start growing.

Best to try to identify those regionals most likely to shrink (ie mesa, comair, horizon etc) and avoid them. SKW is getting mesa and horizon flying, and PNCL/Colgan seem to be getting some action too (probably at the expense of CA).

Which company(s) has the fastest upgrade?

Going forward it will probably be the worst bottom feeders. Except mesa is shrinking, and PNCL / Colgan got themselves a vastly improved contract (nice work people) so they may not have as many folks falling all over themselves to reach the exit. I'm not sure who's left. Great Lakes?

Which company(s) has trip/duty rigs?

SKW has daily rigs (an RCH short of 5 hours) plus a duty rig, but no trip rig.

Which company(s) has the most commutable schedules?

Can't answer without knowing your domicile, equipment, and where you commute to.

Which company(s) to avoid…and why?

All depends on what you want out of life...fast upgrades are going to VERY few and far between unless a real pilot shortage materializes. The new definition of fast upgrade is probably anything less than 5 years. If upgrade is what you really want you will have to throw all other considerations aside...get your divorce papers started now.

Good luck.

hello

They are all bad right now. Nice try.

LOL. Thanks for my morning laugh.
Look on the corporate side of things, not sure where you reside but you wont have to commute and depending on the company, you might upgrade alot faster. Good luck-

You may think 121 experience is a good thing but unless you have a very compelling reason your past will be a big hindrance to getting hired. Most regionals would rather hire 400 hour flight school people who really want the job. You'll be lucky if you get hired anywhere.

Latest resources

Back