• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republican Candidates position on NLRB!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ticket prices have jumped recently, and we have seen the resultant drop in airline traffic.

Wrong. Load factors are stable and yields are up.

Wrong. Load factors are stable and yields are up.
Not what I read in ATW, what is your source, is it higher loads on fewer flights? It has certainly effected growth as shown by a slow down in hiring plans. Again the consumer will determine how much money can be paid for an airline ticket.

Middle Class has changed over the years.... back in the 50's it was an autoworker or steel plant worker... usually a blue collar guy who took home enough that he was able to keep a 5 year old or newer car in the driveway, pay off his home with a 15 year mortgage, and set aside enough for a monthly vacation and the kids education...that with a retirement pension waiting for him at around 62-65. All this while his wife stayed home. Fast forward today, with the cost of things, the big lie of how inflation hasn't been high, and the erosion of salaries, with the increase of productivity (read more work, for less income).... we're looking at a guy making AT LEAST $250,000 to have the same life... is that middle class? I don't know... it's not upper class I can tell you as someone who's averaged that much over the years.. I don't live like the upper class.... I don't have anywhere near what they have.

The term middle class, and the percentiles in todays work are meaningless... it's akin to the marketing term "3/4" ton truck... most of today's 3/4 Tons' are far more capable and can carry double that weight... but they're still referred to as 3/4 Ton's.. Well, we keep calling $75K middle class.... but truth be told, that's working class or lower... ESPECIALLY if *gasp* God forbid you want your wife to stay home with the kids (as does she)...

Middle Class has changed over the years.... back in the 50's it was an autoworker or steel plant worker...
Not true I grew up middle class in the 50's we had a 1200 sq ft house, a one car garage, a 9" B&W TV, a party line on the phone, 6 kids in the family, 3 BR one Bath. We got soda pop maybe once a month, going out to eat was only big events like a birthday.That was a typical middle class neighborhood. I think we now call that family as living in proverty. BTW Increased productivity, means more produced for the same cost. Eliminate jobs because employees are expensive, therefore widgets produced per employee goes up. The employees who keep their jobs normally make more, at least that was the history of the UAW until they BKed the big 3

Last edited:
Not true I grew up middle class in the 50's we had a 1200 sq ft house, a one car garage, a 9" B&W TV, a party line on the phone, 6 kids in the family, 3 BR one Bath, That was a typical middle class neighborhood. BTW Increased productvity, means more produced for the same cost. Eliminate jobs because employees are expensive, therefore widgets produced per employee goes up. The employees who keep their jobs normally make more, at least that was the history of the UAW until they BKed the big 3

Sad how much Koolaid you've ingested... you're beyond help.

Sad how much Koolaid you've ingested... you're beyond help.
You were defining 50's middle class, I lived it, did you? and yes kool aid was a special drink we could have on the weekends BTW You do not need $250K/yr to live that 50's middle class life style.

You were defining 50's middle class, I lived it, did you? and yes kool aid was a special drink we could have on the weekends BTW You do not need $250K/yr to live that 50's middle class life style.

have you spent much time outside the US? Namely in the Northern part of Europe? You seem to think that the American middle class is the trailer park class... and that's fine, you're entitled to your own set of expectations and your own sense of value.. I'm done here however. Peace out.

Someone's else's view on middle class

have you spent much time outside the US? Namely in the Northern part of Europe? You seem to think that the American middle class is the trailer park class... and that's fine, you're entitled to your own set of expectations and your own sense of value.. I'm done here however. Peace out.

Median Income, the 2008 census reported the medium income as $50,233. The PewResearch Center suggests that the middle income range is 75 percent to 150 percent of the median income. This would make the middle class income range $37,675 to $75,350. To most, this range seems small, and surveys conducted by the PewResearch Center find that many who fall outside this range still consider themselves middle class.

Economist's Views, economist Gary Burtless of Brookings Institution indicates that the middle class encompasses from one-half the median income to twice the median income. This would make the middle class income range $25,117 to $100,466. MIT economist Frank Levy believes that those in the middle class have enough money to afford the basic building blocks of a good life, including a house, a car and money to pay necessary bills. He suggests that families in their prime earning years are middle class if they fall between $30,000 and $90,000.

More Than Income, surveys conducted by the PewResearch Center confirm that salary, or income, range is not the only determining factor of what class a person considers himself. Four out of 10 Americans with incomes below $20,000 classify themselves as middle class. On the other end, one-third of those who enjoy incomes over $150,000 say they are middle class.

And the tax burden for median income has dropped from 6% to 4% between 1955 and 2008.

Your $250/yr middle class person seems to be fitting into the upper middle class by a long shot. But they again you are well off and consider that average

BTW A 1400 sq ft house, like mine, is trailer park trash?

Last edited:
BTW A 1400 sq ft house, like mine, is trailer park trash?

I wasn't saying you were living in a trailer park, just that your idea of middle class is.... no offense was intended to you. With that said, 1400sf is about 1/3 the size of my house that I live in and about the size of the 3 rentals I own.... I frankly find those way too small to put any more than 1 kid in, but then I can afford otherwise, many can't..

I wasn't saying you were living in a trailer park, just that your idea of middle class is.... no offense was intended to you. With that said, 1400sf is about 1/3 the size of my house that I live in and about the size of the 3 rentals I own.... I frankly find those way too small to put any more than 1 kid in, but then I can afford otherwise, many can't..
back to the post above that matches my definition of Middle Class, they don't live in 4,200 sq ft homes like you.

Latest resources

Back