• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ to JB...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If u r a captain at NJA, stay. If an FO, go to JB. The Oracle has spoken.

I agree with this assessment. Upgrade time could take a long while at JB and you would miss out on Capt pay at NJA during that time. QOL is relative. NJA is still the industry leader despite the changes and who knows whether JB will be integrated into another airline in the future - you never know in this business.....

That said, if you are just sick on the fractional business, ad hoc flying, 7+ day tours, etc., then by all means go to JB.

if you hate your job at nj and don't like the pricks you are serving, give it a whirl.
I personally found that to be a major misconception about the pax at NJA. In my experience there, 3.5 years, a prick passenger was very very rare. In most cases, they were very pleasant, gracious and were really no problem at all. On any random given flight I do at JBU, there are more pricks on that flight than I encountered in my entire time at NJA- on a flight between HPN and PBI and you'll encounter more pricks than you would in a whole career at NJA. YMMV, it's possible that pax personalities at NJA are fleet specific and I was just lucky enough to be on a "humble" fleet.

Great point, I agree 100 percent, I used to fly for a lcc and my experience was the same. I can think of only one prick passenger at nja out of maybe a thousand. As far as leaving for jetblue, jb's new payscale looks pretty good, especially if you live in base. Good luck either way.

Spent 8 years at corporate wings/flight options..

Knew that the business model would not be sustainable and when i say that i am referring to the entire frac industry.. Decided a seniority number was better to obtain then a hope that flops would make it long term

Loved the frac flying and adventure it provided.. Now i cant begin to imaging doing 7 day tours.. 4 days max for me now QOL is better and i have the ability to bid for family needs.

In year 6 FO on the bus will make 140-150k this year and average 16 days off and 50 % of weekends off if i dropped to min sked would make 90-100k have 18-19 days off and every weekend.

junior sked subtract 30-40k add 2-3 more days

In year 6 FO on the bus will make 140-150k this year and average 16 days off and 50 % of weekends off if i dropped to min sked would make 90-100k have 18-19 days off and every weekend.

And this is EXACTLY why I would leave my Part 135 Charter Captain position to take a year One F.O. job. I am OVER not having a life and begging rich people that own a jet to pay their crew an appropriate wage.

Spent 8 years at corporate wings/flight options..

Knew that the business model would not be sustainable and when i say that i am referring to the entire frac industry.. Decided a seniority number was better to obtain then a hope that flops would make it long term

Loved the frac flying and adventure it provided.. Now i cant begin to imaging doing 7 day tours.. 4 days max for me now QOL is better and i have the ability to bid for family needs.

junior sked subtract 30-40k add 2-3 more days

Do you mind explaining to me how you do this. I am out in LGB, and without including perdiem or company matching, I'm not sure how you can make 150k with the productivity as it is.

Do you mind explaining to me how you do this. I am out in LGB, and without including perdiem or company matching, I'm not sure how you can make 150k with the productivity as it is.

You'd just have to average 114 hours a month. It’s certainly possible if you're aggressive picking up deadheads and other soft time. A number of local guys at JFK are able to do it on a consistent basis. Most of them don't feel the need to talk about it..........

In other words, live at the airport, be on Crew Services' "special" list, etc.... Come on, we all average 100 plus hours of credit, don't we?

Sour grapes aside, I have 2 friends that have made the NJ to JB transition. They both seem happy, and despite my focus on what needs to be better for ALL of us, there's lots good about working here.

You'd just have to average 114 hours a month. It’s certainly possible if you're aggressive picking up deadheads and other soft time. A number of local guys at JFK are able to do it on a consistent basis. Most of them don't feel the need to talk about it..........

If you live in base, are senior enough to hold the DH trips, pick-up RSA's, and are FLICA whore you can easily average 114 hours a month, but you can't do that and still have half the weekends and 16 days off a month as he claims.

A more realistic expectation for a reasonably senior A320 FO is $105-115K and 14 days off per month. Not bad, but no where near what CCB claims he's getting. I am a reasonably senior FO and I'm on the low side of the $105-115K window but I bid commutability over productivity. If I lived in base I think I would be closer to $115K than $105K.

Is $150K doable as a senior FO? Absolutely. $150K and 16 days off per month? I won't say impossible because CCB claims he's doing it, but I sure don't see how.

Latest resources

Back