Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unfortunately CAL will lose it's 50 seat scope.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you an XJT pilot? Because if you are, I'd think you'd be kinda pissed that mgt's violation of our contract will result in hundreds of your brothers and sisters getting displaced from their homes in IAH. BTW, I walked the line for Contract '04. Did you?

How is management violating the CBA by displacing you??????????

You stupid phuk teenager. Go back to the regional board. We are going to put a boot up mgmts a$$ and kick yours out of our flying. CAL and UAL are taking the flying back or we are shutting it down. GET IT?

Can't wait to see the planes parked tough guy. The flying is gone, your not getting sh!t.

GET IT!?!

No that is not correct. The enhanced flow through was killed by the CAL side of ALPA.
No, CAL ALPA cannot just dictate a flow-through to mgt. MGT. wanted it dead and would not even discuss it. I just missed the flow and was one of the first PIGS. One of the major reasons the IPO happen was to keep the groups seperated. It is in MGT. (And apparently Joe Merchant's) best interest to keep the flying split. The CAL pilots at the time were not interested or in a position to strike over the issue. It is a different group now, no more outsourcing.

Take That!

This a lesson they won't soon forget.

Their feet are to the fire and they're feeling the heat now!

United Airlines and Continental Airlines, wholly owned subsidiaries of United Continental Holdings, today announced that the airlines were first and second respectively in on-time performance for domestic scheduled flights among America's five largest global carriers for October 2010.

How is management violating the CBA by displacing you??????????

Uh, maybe you should reread my post. Mgt's violation of our (CAL) contract is resulting in many XJT flights being upgauged to 70 seaters, which is illegal. As a result, XJT pilots are being displaced out of their bases to ORD to do the flying Shuttle and Skywest used to do. This first wave of 70 seat flying is mostly just a rearrangement of the deck chairs and will have minimal negative impact on CAL mainline flying. However, it is still illegal per our scope clause, and as I'm sure you know, once you let a wolf into the henhouse.....

Their MGMT feet are to the fire and they're feeling the heat now!

So is this what is discussed at union meetings? Keep the schedule on time. Fly broke airplanes. Oh, and there is a sidewalk march tomorrow. Wear your hat! Get'R'Done. NOT!

Leverage is achieved through force. Mechanics and flight attendants understand the force principle. Pilots are just too dumb thinking they can out deal the devil.

Defending SCOPE is going to take more than an arbitrator and a December meeting.

You Guys are Missing the BIG PICTURE

What will affect the Majors the most, is what just took place at Southwest.

They use to just fly into outlying airports, then they started moving into the main hub airports, like Denver. Then they buy AirTran, who never did avoid the main airports, so now Southwest will be going head to head with even more Major Airline routes. Combine them with the JetBlue's of the world, and the Majors will simply be unable to compete with their cost structures in the domestic market. So where will they look to make money? International operations only. You will then have the larger Regionals doing more and more of the domestic work of the Majors, because the Majors will no longer be able to make money in the domestic market competing head to head with the Southwests of the world.

The end result: Less Mainline Pilot jobs, more Discount Carrier Pilot jobs and more Regional Pilot Jobs.

Its happening folks. No Union Contract provisions will stop it.

If one were starting out today, I'd say their best bet would be to try and get on one of the Southwests or JetBlue's of the world. Them, or one of the Larger Regionals.

The Majors are going to be reducing their overall Pilot population in the coming years, in my opinion. Scope clauses will not stop it. Its simple economics.

What will affect the Majors the most, is what just took place at Southwest.

They use to just fly into outlying airports, then they started moving into the main hub airports, like Denver. Then they buy AirTran, who never did avoid the main airports, so now Southwest will be going head to head with even more Major Airline routes. Combine them with the JetBlue's of the world, and the Majors will simply be unable to compete with their cost structures in the domestic market. So where will they look to make money? International operations only. You will then have the larger Regionals doing more and more of the domestic work of the Majors, because the Majors will no longer be able to make money in the domestic market competing head to head with the Southwests of the world.

The end result: Less Mainline Pilot jobs, more Discount Carrier Pilot jobs and more Regional Pilot Jobs.

Its happening folks. No Union Contract provisions will stop it.

If one were starting out today, I'd say their best bet would be to try and get on one of the Southwests or JetBlue's of the world. Them, or one of the Larger Regionals.

The Majors are going to be reducing their overall Pilot population in the coming years, in my opinion. Scope clauses will not stop it. Its simple economics.

Here you go again......lot's of opinion, and no facts. Ever heard of retirements? The majors will have far more retirements than the newer upstarts. How many Jetblue pilots are scheduled to retire anytime soon? How about Virgin America? What about Airtran? That really isn't a senior "bunch." That means a bunch of middle aged guys enter the SWA list. That isn't good for movement. The Majors have tons of upcoming retirements.Ever seen the numbers? Over the next few years, up to 700 or more pilots leave PER YEAR, and that continues. Every guy that leaves there moves 20 or more people UPWARD. Same goes for UAL/CAL, AA, and USAir.

And where do you come up with the Majors having ONLY INTL flying? Give me a break. Oil is moving higher, and RJs are again becoming less and less attractive. And, scope clauses do work, and with more profits at the Majors, managements have less leverage to ask for concessions on anything, including scope. I think you need to re-read the part on negotiations and leverage. Sometimes you DON'T have to give up something to gain something else. When you are coming off of a BK contract, everything goes UP. When your closest neighbor (Airtran) gets a huge raise thanks to a SWA merger, that can only help DL's future negotiations. That new raise for Airtran will be the starting point for wage increases there. And guess what? I want to be a part of it. I have 3 internal recs, and I am hoping for an interview during this next round. I don't want to fly more domestic flying. I want to try something new.

And did you say more regional jobs? After the FAA imposes new hiring minimums? Won't that hurt Regional airlines, affecting how they hire? They may have to raise rates to attract anyone with enough hours to qualify. If they do that, then they will become less efficient, and that means they will likely downsize because their costs will go up. Then throw in the new rest and fatigue rule requirements, and that will do another number on regionals. Min rest hours at hotels will take away continuous duty overnights (a regional staple), and also duty day limits will shrink depending on how many legs you fly per day (another regional staple--lots of legs per day). That will make regional costs GO UP. They may want larger planes (100 seaters) to compensate, but mainline scope will stay strong because of the lack of leverage management has because of recent high profits. Sorry, you are mistaken.

And speeking of trying something new, how about you go look up some facts before you type. It sure would be nice.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see the planes parked tough guy. The flying is gone, your not getting sh!t.

GET IT!?!

Can't wait to see you parked in the unemployment line. Your job is gone. You're not getting sh!t. I hope you enjoy losing your home, your wife, EVERYTHING you have worked for. Hopefully just in time for Christmas. Wait...that's what happened to the United and CAL furloughees. May it happen to you too, Merry Xmas!

For all the other pilots on this forum, this is just a special Xmas wish for nerjdriver. May Karma find him at the worst possible time and ruin his life. I hope to have the opportunity to spit in your face as you are laying homeless in the gutter cradling a bottle of 20/20 on Xmas eve.

Ahhhhh, now that felt gooooood. ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back