• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting JB ALPA OC email

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate to say it but the "Tier B" thing is an ALPA term based on number of pilots in the group. Don't know when it started but it's not just Sandy making shtuff up.

If it wasn't for unions including ALPA we would all be replaced by guys who would work for half the pay and no work rules that would eventually be replaced by chinos or whatever was the cheap flavor of the year was. QUOTE]

Not always. Ask the ALPA-represented pilots of Trans States how that contract protected them when the holding company produced the steaming pile known as "GoJet".

I've held off wading into the discussion here- it's usually more like a shouting match- but I'll throw in a quick 2cents.

Overall, I think ALPA has done a lot of good for this industry. I came from an ALPA carrier, I volunteered and was a Committee chairman. I've walked picket lines. I've also worked at a company which had no union- and didn't need one, in my opinion. Management treated us well, paid us fairly, and took care of us.

In my short time at JB, I've tried to solicit any and all input regarding the issues. From both sides. Count me in the camp that just doesn't think that we need ALPA on property right now. It comes down to a decision that, while not perfect, there is absolutely nothing that has convinced me that we would be BETTER off with ALPA right now. The only certainty is we'd all take a 2-3% pay cut (not sure exactly what the dues are right now). Then we start from scratch, negotiating everything, much of which we already have.

I've been ALPA. Again, I'm not anti-ALPA or anti-union. Just don't think we need them here. I'm certainly not alone. There are more than a few ex-MEC Chairman here who feel the same way. That which is most important to a particular pilot group is not always most important to Nat'l. I saw this in the past. It's inherent in any organization as large as ALPA. Anyone who thinks that simply bring ALPA onto the property is suddenly going to fix the few problems we have here is naive.

If it wasn't for unions including ALPA we would all be replaced by guys who would work for half the pay and no work rules that would eventually be replaced by chinos or whatever was the cheap flavor of the year was. QUOTE]

Not always. Ask the ALPA-represented pilots of Trans States how that contract protected them when the holding company produced the steaming pile known as "GoJet".

I've held off wading into the discussion here- it's usually more like a shouting match- but I'll throw in a quick 2cents.

Overall, I think ALPA has done a lot of good for this industry. I came from an ALPA carrier, I volunteered and was a Committee chairman. I've walked picket lines. I've also worked at a company which had no union- and didn't need one, in my opinion. Management treated us well, paid us fairly, and took care of us.

In my short time at JB, I've tried to solicit any and all input regarding the issues. From both sides. Count me in the camp that just doesn't think that we need ALPA on property right now. It comes down to a decision that, while not perfect, there is absolutely nothing that has convinced me that we would be BETTER off with ALPA right now. The only certainty is we'd all take a 2-3% pay cut (not sure exactly what the dues are right now). Then we start from scratch, negotiating everything, much of which we already have.

I've been ALPA. Again, I'm not anti-ALPA or anti-union. Just don't think we need them here. I'm certainly not alone. There are more than a few ex-MEC Chairman here who feel the same way. That which is most important to a particular pilot group is not always most important to Nat'l. I saw this in the past. It's inherent in any organization as large as ALPA. Anyone who thinks that simply bring ALPA onto the property is suddenly going to fix the few problems we have here is naive.

I see your point. But, I think the issue is not necessarily that you need a union RIGHT NOW to fix your problems, but maybe to prevent your problems down the road. From your experience, I sure don't need to tell you the benefits and problems with ALPA, but they are better than nothing if you are looking down the road a little.

Latest resources

Back