Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Turn Down 30% Increase over Five Years And A $3,000 Signing Bonus Per Pilot At

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RedDogC130

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Spirit-Airlines-Update-on-bw-3119022790.html?x=0&.v=1

MIRAMAR, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Spirit Airlines with the help of the National Mediation Board worked tirelessly through the night until 5:00 am to reach a fair and equitable agreement with its pilot union.
Spirit offered over 30 percent pay increases totaling $70 million over five years, net of productivity improvements. At the same time, the pilots would have retained a four-day off break between each and every trip, a feature not found in any other ALPA contract.
In addition, under the offer each pilot would have received a $3,000 signing bonus. The pilots would also receive an eight percent 401-K match in years one through three with an increase to nine percent in year four, while all other Spirit employees only receive a three percent match.
“We are frustrated and disappointed that our pilots have turned down an over 30 percent increase at a cost of over $70 million over five years while disrupting thousands of our customers and jeopardizing the livelihoods of our over 2,000 employees,” said Spirit Airlines President and CEO Ben Baldanza.
As a result of the pilots’ decision to strike, Spirit Airlines flights are cancelled for Saturday, June 12, 2010.
For those customers whose flights are cancelled, Spirit is processing a credit for the full amount of the flight, as well as providing a $100 future flight credit.
Customers who made their reservation prior to May 11, 2010 directly with Spirit and purchased travel insurance should call Travel Guard at 866-877-3191 if their flight has been cancelled.

Is this all true?

Is this all true?
Spin. Spin. Spin.

Do the math. The "pay raise" is spread over several years (and they have been at the table for ~4 years) and means the "pay raise" does not even beat inflation....and Sprit is not exactly overpaid to begin with.

it's just PR

30% over 5 years translates to 14 years

4 years negotiating
5 year contract
4-5 years for negotiating next contract

Increase might be equal to the inflation rate but not much more.

Little sympathy for management here in so florida, Spirit is known as the $45 dollars for a carry-on airline. Everyone figures if they would do this imagine what they do to their employees .

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Spirit-Airlines-Update-on-bw-3119022790.html?x=0&.v=1

MIRAMAR, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Spirit Airlines with the help of the National Mediation Board worked tirelessly through the night until 5:00 am to reach a fair and equitable agreement with its pilot union.
Spirit offered over 30 percent pay increases totaling $70 million over five years, net of productivity improvements. At the same time, the pilots would have retained a four-day off break between each and every trip, a feature not found in any other ALPA contract.
In addition, under the offer each pilot would have received a $3,000 signing bonus. The pilots would also receive an eight percent 401-K match in years one through three with an increase to nine percent in year four, while all other Spirit employees only receive a three percent match.
“We are frustrated and disappointed that our pilots have turned down an over 30 percent increase at a cost of over $70 million over five years while disrupting thousands of our customers and jeopardizing the livelihoods of our over 2,000 employees,” said Spirit Airlines President and CEO Ben Baldanza.
As a result of the pilots’ decision to strike, Spirit Airlines flights are cancelled for Saturday, June 12, 2010.
For those customers whose flights are cancelled, Spirit is processing a credit for the full amount of the flight, as well as providing a $100 future flight credit.
Customers who made their reservation prior to May 11, 2010 directly with Spirit and purchased travel insurance should call Travel Guard at 866-877-3191 if their flight has been cancelled.

Is this all true?

Come on this isn't your first rodeo! You should know better then to believe a company press release put out minutes after the strike. The bold statement above is enough to be a show stopper when you are dealing with a mgt team the likes of Spirit.

Come on this isn't your first rodeo! You should know better then to believe a company press release put out minutes after the strike. The bold statement above is enough to be a show stopper when you are dealing with a mgt team the likes of Spirit.

So what was the actual offer on the table? Not trying to take sides, but if I were another Spirit employee trying to make ends meet and support a family, I would expect a better answer than "didn't keep up with inflation" when the stike could very well make me lose my job....

[flame suit - donned]

So what was the actual offer on the table? Not trying to take sides, but if I were another Spirit employee trying to make ends meet and support a family, I would expect a better answer than "didn't keep up with inflation" when the stike could very well make me lose my job....

[flame suit - donned]

Not good enough for the spirit pilots.

Here ya go...

So 30%...ok lets figure this one out Ben:

4 years to negotiate a contract
5 year contract
4 years to negotiate a new contract after the 5 year one
--
13 YEARS

30% / 13 = 2.3%

The historic inflation average is 3.42% from 1913-present, granted it was 2.7% from 2000-2009...so Ben, what you are saying is you are offering a NEGATIVE .4% raise? Get bent!

[flame suit - donned]

Mgt claims 30% over 5 years, with a 401k bump, and a 3k signing bonus. They have been negotiating in bad faith for 4 years and put together this last minute insult to save face. Perhaps if mgt would have started with this offer a deal would have been reached years ago? Beyond that 3k over retro is a absolute NO!

Then you have the fact that Spirits mgt is known for openly violating the pilot contract and taking the fly noe grieve later practice to a whole new level! Make no mistake mgt is the enemy here! And they abuse every employee group at Spirit! Did you knoe gate agents have to buy their own pens?

Latest resources

Back