SWA Rumor Control

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATA75Pilot

Was jumpseating on SWA yesterday and got talking to the First Officer about the hiring situation.

He told me that while flying with one of the Regional Chief Pilots recently he was told that SWA would only be calling applicants that possesed the type rating.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

-ed

Think of this answer within the perspective of pre-911 & post-911 applicants. Prior to 911 the number of applicants w/types was not sufficient enough to fill all interview slots (which were planned for 3 weeks in Oct/ 2 wks in Nov (approximate). So folks without types were getting called. Things changed dramatically post 911.

Interviews being arranged for Jan are interviews that were previously scheduled prior to 911. Both types & non-types are being called for these interviews since interviews scheduled then included both. ANYONE who had a hard interview date PRIOR to 911 who HASN'T been called needs to call the People Dept. The People Dept is calling all these folks but if you haven't been called, do so, its your only "get out jail free card" you'll have, use it. The few remaining slots will be filled with applicants who had not been called prior to 911. BTW, 3 weeks of interviews in Jan. Feb interviews will be arranged in early Jan.

Now, what about types. SWA's policy has always been to interview folks who meet all the qualifications + have a type first. The following factors result in only typed folks being called to fill the few remaining slots in Jan & those in Feb most likely.

1. Applications (w/types) who had not been called for interviews but that have been sitting in the People Dept since 911 waiting for the call.

2. Many folks w/o types prior to 911 who either prior to 911 or after 911 have now gone out to get their types because they realize the best way to improve one's chance to get called for interview is to get a type. That urgency wasn't there prior to 911, it has become a market driven reality post 911.

3. MANY, MANY other furloughed pilots who have applied w/types after 911 (and some even prior to 911).

These three factors are adding to the long wait before folks with types get a call for interview. This is only my guess after talking to the folks in the People Dept but a 5-7 month wait is not unrealistic to expect before a call will be made for those w/o types & it could go longer as other applications are received.

If you have an application (w/o type) in right now & 3 weeks from now someone with a type applies, they will get the call before you most likely. However, this DOES NOT mean you WON'T get an interview. On the contrary, SWA is the only airline that guarantees an interview. All applications that meet the minimum requirements will get called for an interview, the only factor affecting the timing of the is whether you have/get a type rating.

I'm not trying to pump up the various schools out there who give types, I'm just trying to convey what the reality of the situation is. Once in the interview, having a type or not having one has no bearing on whether you get the job. Sorry for the long answer, hope that helps. Hang in there, I believe (no confirmation) more interviews will occur in Feb. Remember our new schedule goes into effect come 5 April. I expect some growth to occur out of that which will have to be met with more pilots down the road, meaning more interviews. Realize 95% of this has been bad news possibly to the non-type folks but hopefully the last 5% will provide some additional signs that things will continue to improve for SWA, i.e. hopefully you too.

chase

Thanks for the reply chase.

I'm in a unique situation in that I was called for the interview for September but was unable to schedule one that month (pre 9/11). I was told by my contact person that I would be called for October.

After 9/11 I checked back with her and she said that I was at the top of the list to be called after those with scheduled interviews in September were rescheduled.

Of course I do not have the type and that was the reason for my first post since I haven't heard back yet.

Guess it's time for me to make a call or two.

Thanks Again,

-ed

if you were contacted already, i would most definitely call them up and push the issue. the people in that office are really cool and go out of their way th help.
best of luck.

Looks like late 2012 will be the earliest. My friend says that they'll probably have to reinterview the whole pool and do some checking on currencies/backgrounds.

Latest resources

Back