• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When does it get unsafe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In all fairness though, i can almost guarantee that all of your 17 were button clickers- click click send.

Last edited:
my co-worker counted a block of his releases yesterday.....17 in his first 45 minutes at work.

I walked in and there was 115 flights for me to release in a 10 hour shift. 19 flights in the first hour. How many releases per hour/shift constitutes safe? There is little/no language to that effect.

We have recently lost over 20% of our dept and the work load is overwhelming at best. The company has no plans to recall the furloughed dispatchers. We just "suck it up" and are thankful we aren't among the jobless!

our local FAA inspector says the industry average is around 40 releases per shift. 115 releases???? That's bonkers! I thought we were stuggling having a max of around 72 on day shift.

and people wonder why there's so much scrutiny on the regionals lately to determine if they're just as safe as the majors

DLs domestics average around 50 or so releases on a domestic; around 10-15 on an international except on the africa desk, where they average about 3-4 originated releases - and they catch around 3-4 in flight; Domestic midnites - they have 4 midniters and they have around 70 per desk, between night flights they catch, and morning originators.

The regional count of 60-65 is fairly accurate. Depending on the regional, 30 of those releases are potentially IAD/CHO or IAD/MDT out and backs or something similar. On some days it may be difficult keeping up but on the standard day, those flights are really no brainers. If you feel consistently over loaded then an ASAP report is probably the best way to go about reporting the workload, a direct call to the FAA is not. I know quite a few people who felt they were buddy-buddy with the FAA who ultimately ended up getting burned by their "buddy" in the FAA in the end.

Latest resources

Back