Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC Job Posting-Not to exceed 13 months??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SammyG

I hope its big enough
I was very excited today when I saw the posting on the FAA website for Air Traffic Controller Trainee. Upon reading more details however, it says that the position is "Full Time Temporary NTE - 13 Months"??

Am I correct in assuming that this means that the training period is only 13 months?

Or could it possibly be that the job, after you get it (if you get it) is only for 13 months, and then you're out? (That wouldn't make sense to me, but I want to be sure)

Was very excited about this until I read that part. Any light shed on this would be appreciated, thanks!

It just means you have to be through training in OKC within 13 months (it's their safety net to fire you if you don't catch on in a reasonable amount of time).

PM me if you have more questions -- I start training in OKC on 08/20.

I will be 30 in 6 months and I recently applied. A few years ago I was selected to take the AT-SAT and never did. If selected now, would I even have enough time to start before I turn 30?

I was very excited today when I saw the posting on the FAA website for Air Traffic Controller Trainee. Upon reading more details however, it says that the position is "Full Time Temporary NTE - 13 Months"??

Am I correct in assuming that this means that the training period is only 13 months?

Or could it possibly be that the job, after you get it (if you get it) is only for 13 months, and then you're out? (That wouldn't make sense to me, but I want to be sure)

Was very excited about this until I read that part. Any light shed on this would be appreciated, thanks!

It just means you don't get a permanent appointment until 13 months have elapsed, i.e. the FAA can terminate your employment at any time during that first 13 months at will.

It has nothing to do with how long training takes (still 2-5 years at major facilities).

It's 13 months because 12 month temps in the federal gov't don't get any benefits, and folks were balking at being hired under those terms.

It just means you have to be through training in OKC within 13 months (it's their safety net to fire you if you don't catch on in a reasonable amount of time).

PM me if you have more questions -- I start training in OKC on 08/20.

Training in OKC is only 2-4 months, not 13. See my other reply in this thread.

I will be 30 in 6 months and I recently applied. A few years ago I was selected to take the AT-SAT and never did. If selected now, would I even have enough time to start before I turn 30?

There's a chance but most likely not due to the length of the actual application process (ATSAT, Interview, Medical, Psyc and Security check).
31 is the actual cutoff btw.

From the time I took the ATSAT to the time I started class in OKC, exactly one year had passed. The shortest I've heard has been around 7 months.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back