Go Around, BE PROFESSIONAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hollywood,

You did just fine. Don't take the Deltards or Critters like Lee and Webb seriously. They are rude and their White Trash DNA comes out in their responses. They're trash, now move along.

There you go, you are being reasonable. It does cost us (or anyone these days) a lot of money to go around, so keeping the assigned speeds at Major airports is a must. But, I can understand that it happens sometimes. Just try to keep it to a minimum, and if you have to make sure you take the legs into busy airports if you feel you have a weak FO.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I've always let ATC know I'll be slow when the big guys are behind me. I've even offered to ATC to slow more to let them by me in the past, and have gotten thank yous.

What grinds my gears about this situation, is that, 1. it wasn't busy, 2. I did advise ATC of our app speed long before being cleared for the app., and 3. there was no need for what was said on the radio.

Just for the record GLee, my FO does a great job, he was doing what I told him to do.

I just wanted people to see this from my point of view, that's all.

(LOL) You see, that was your 1st mistake. You came to the "Majors" section hoping ANYBODY would see things your way about anything? Nothing personal, but I'd say the majority of these people aren't looking for a fresh perspective. You could have landed a Rutan space plane that was on fire with bodies falling out and somebody on here is going to tell you how you cost their company $6,000 for a go around. You might as well just let it go.

Guess those Delta guys forgot how to do S Turns. ATC is responsible for separation in Bravo.

Guess those Delta guys forgot how to do S Turns. ATC is responsible for separation in Bravo.

You can't really do it if you are landing 27L and there are planes on each side of you on 28 and 26R. I guess you would still do it, and then do a "Breakout" maneuver on the PRM... You did know we have simultaneous parallel PRM approaches to 3 runways sometimes, right?

If your final approach speed is 117Kts, and you do that 5 miles out, that is BAD. A heavy jet may be 40 kts faster than that, and there is no way to slow even more. Does ATC need to sequence props or slower planes away from heavies? You just can't do that at ATL, it's called VOLUME. If you can't handle it, then you need to leave the business. ATC is responsible, you are right, but if you slow early between approach freq and tower freq, the guy behind you may not know until he is 2 miles behind you and he checks on with Tower. That is YOUR fault for slowing too early. Keep your speed up until you NEED to slow down for operational safety. Slowing at Depot on the ILS 27L in a prop is wrong.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Alright, i'll chime in here...

First let me say i have been on both sides of this issue, plus the middle. I have had an airliner go around because of me...well, because of the bird at least(learjet), lost an engine on t/o roll and of course had to abort, airliner went around. Went around in an airliner because another bird was on the runway ahead and failed to clear as instructed by tower. Now for the third...went around(learjet again) for an airliner going the speed of molases on final and the runway.

It's not always in your cards as to how the go-arounds occur, however you can always do more to prevent them from happening. I can remember doing a "go-around" in the lear on short final for a citation...however, instead of going back out for a full approach, we just did a quick 360 and touched down uneventful. I have flown an airliner faster than our book says to keep the flow of traffic going, i have also slowed waaaaaaay down far out from the marker to prevent from having to do a go-around...all we had to do was take a look at our TCAS and see that the bird in front dropped anchor and so we did the same. The company ops tell you to fly a certain speed or profile, however if in the event it is necessary to do something different, you do it, it's as simple as that. If you need to keep it faster you do, if you need to slow down you do. If you don't play by the "friendly" rules, you will soon find yourself at the bottom of everyones list.

I always lived by the rules of get down and get off fast when i flew the lear, however the lear would do that without a problem, i have never flown a slowtation(your words), but i bet it could get off faster than the lear...especially much easier to make the first turnoff versus letting it roll...i mean heck, those brakes and reversers are there for a reason.

I'm not going to call you a dork or make fun of you or anything like that, but i would suggest if you fly into high traffic airports you maybe think about fitting in better with the flow of traffic, it just makes us all happier and then you don't have to come post threads like this on FI.

I've always let ATC know I'll be slow when the big guys are behind me. I've even offered to ATC to slow more to let them by me in the past, and have gotten thank yous.

What grinds my gears about this situation, is that, 1. it wasn't busy, 2. I did advise ATC of our app speed long before being cleared for the app., and 3. there was no need for what was said on the radio.

Just for the record GLee, my FO does a great job, he was doing what I told him to do.

When did you slow to your final 117Kt speed? It may have been too early, and since you are saying he was following your lead, maybe it is you who need to manage your speed better. Not trying to bust your ballz, but hey, welcome to ATL, the busiest airport in the world.

Bye Bye--General Lee

When did you slow to your final 117Kt speed? It may have been too early, and since you are saying he was following your lead, maybe it is you who need to manage your speed better. Not trying to bust your ballz, but hey, welcome to ATL, the busiest airport in the world.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hell, TEB gets "busier" than ATL at times... airspace vs. workload.

When the last time that you guys circled to any runway in ATL?

Go do the VOR-A to TEB circle to 19 in TEB while being above the helicopters on the highway below and below the CAL jets landing EWR above AND missing the rest of TEB traffic... then let's talk busy.

And that's a Monday.

Watch for those TV antennas too BTW.

Latest resources

Back