• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta 767 Emerg in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This single engine approach was nothing more than a symbol of Delta's long term financial plan. Only problem, the single engine represents the government and problably won't spool up on the next go around (BK Chpt 11). Crash and burn Mav.

Last edited:
Ohhhh, ahhhhh, impressive stuff!!

Scaaaaary!! How did they ever survive?

You know, 1/2 of you pilots need to grow a set! Be real men people. And we wonder why the media makes such a big thing over NON-events like this. An engine out on a 767 is hardly an emergency as the title of this thread would suggest. Be a pilot and fly the plane, it will fly fine.

Try repossessing a 727 from the bowels of Africa while being shot at, beginning your takeoff roll with only 2 engines up, while starting the 3rd while on the roll. I'll take the "inconvenience" of an engine out on a Delta 767 over Atlanta everyday of the week.

If some of you guys find an engine out on a 767 with a go-around at 400 feet an impressive feat, so be it. Just please don't ooh and ahhh about it on a public message board as it only shows your inexperience.

You should write a book. I'm sure you could give away a few copies.

Maybe you could title it "Ace of the Base" or "Out of Africa........how to get shot at in a 727 & lived to tell everyone how cool I am on Flightinfo"

Last edited:
So there I was- knee deep in my own vomit, tracers chattering all over the ground and overhead, trying to figure out the best way to unstick a heavy 120K pounds over gross and a CG -500% LEMAC.

It was typhoon season, and the gravel runway was covered in pythons the size of redwoods writhing in the foot deep mud covering all 3200 feet of it. The JET-A was cheap liquor, and I was literally flying solo. The FE and FO were eaten by them runway snakes during the hot refueling.

An earthquake occurred at V1, and at precisely the same moment someone detonated a low-yield nuke they'd smuggled on board.

Sit back, and I'll tell you my WORST day of flying story.

:laugh: :laugh:

And the whole point of my original thread was not to question the PIC's decision to declare an emergency if he indeed was in doubt of the outcome of the flight, but to get these naive little kids who have never faced an emergency in their lives, except maybe the loss of 1 of their 2 fms's, to not sound so highschoolish.
[/font]

I've faced enough emergencies in my career to know that things don't always fail "the right way" like they do in the sim and that any emergency has the potential to go bad very quickly.

The Alaska Airlines MD-80 accident started out as a perceived pitch trim malfunction. Al Haynes Sioux City accident started out as a loss of engine 2.

But now more than ever training time is crammed with more useless info like watching you low vis taxi for 20 minutes instead of putting you in unusual failure modes and forcing you to figure out what's gone wrong.

aww shucks, aint that sweet. Maybe an engine out is rare for you, but not everyone has lived the docile life you apparently have.

And the whole point of my original thread was not to question the PIC's decision to declare an emergency if he indeed was in doubt of the outcome of the flight, but to get these naive little kids who have never faced an emergency in their lives, except maybe the loss of 1 of their 2 fms's, to not sound so highschoolish.

[/font]

Listen up, skygod... This is not a private pilot ground school class you're talking to. This is a forum of Major airline pilots. Get over yourself. You're just not that cool. Everyone here is a professional.

And by the way, my next engine failure will be my NINTH. You know NOTHING about me or anyone else on here. Your comments above are offensive and arrogant.

Im going to keep my opinon to my self about the severity of doing a single engine missed. There are two schools of thought. I will determine the severity of such an event based on crew abilty. Some are better skilled than others...

For those of you bashing pipejockey, you are entitled to you opinion. However if you have never flown in Africa, you are clueless to the way of life here. What he descibes is not an everyday event like he tries to make out, but regardless theres a reason for the term us expats here use: TIA, This is Africa!

I personally fall into a little bubble within Africa. I dont fly into hostile airports and Im not forced to depart with a broken overweight airplane. Im lucky to be flying under JAR regulations and also restricted big time by our insurance requirements... Regardless its still Africa and I am forced to do things differently at times but ALWAYS SAFE!!!

And by the way, my next engine failure will be my NINTH. You know NOTHING about me or anyone else on here. Your comments above are offensive and arrogant.

Uh, wow. Might wanna find an airline with better maintenance there, bud. Do you have to walk uphill through 10 feet of snow going to and from the airplane, too?

Latest resources

Back