• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ualdriver

http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/287751.html

Southwest pilot talks proceed quietly

By TREBOR BANSTETTER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Not long after he was hired as lead labor negotiator last year for Southwest Airlines, Joe Harris was pulled aside by Herb Kelleher in a hallway at the company's Dallas headquarters.
The airline's legendary chairman and co-founder had one directive regarding negotiations for the airline's new pilots contract. "Herb cornered me and said, 'Don't screw this up, Harris,'" he recounted.
Not long after, he was recognized at an airport by a Southwest pilot. "And [the pilot] came up to me and said, 'Don't let them screw this up.'"
Harris got the message. "Both sides want to come out of this with something they'll be happy with," he said. "That's never easy, but that's what we're working toward."

"Our pilots are the best-compensated group in the industry, and we don't want to take anything away from them," he said. "But unfortunately we don't have a blank check we can just fill out."
Still, Harris added, "to say that this is going to be very difficult implies that our pilots are greedy, and that's just not true. We're proud of the fact that they're the best-paid pilots out there, and we want to maintain that."

I love that.

Don't buy the bull that you are the best paid in the industry, because you are not. Take a look at the total compensation at FDX and UPS and shoot for what they/we have in terms of retirement and work rules. The pay at SWA looks great, just not at the expense of funding your own retirement and how hard you work. IMO SWA pilots need to get a B plan. In fact, a modest 3-5% pay raise and a B plan of 10-12% would be what I would reasonably expect. FWIW, which is not much.

I think our quality of life is a little better than UPS or Fedex...this is based on friends that work there. One even left SWA for UPS and said liked the schedule flexibility at SWA a little better. Money is not everything. You get to a point where you are happy with what you have anything more is just for the extra dinner out.

Well, the 401K is funded at 100% up to 7.3%. The profit sharing based on W2 earnings has averaged 10% into a seperate retirement account, plus company stock but that's been pretty much worthless last few years. Pensions haven't worked out like they should have the last few years. Ask around. However, I'll agree that a B-Plan is a good thing, if you fly boxes. Not so much in the people arena based on past history.

Payrates are for the 737 type airframe. You can't compare the 747 or MD11 to the 737 in regards to pay.

Work hard? umm, not me. 9 days this month and no vacation. Thanks Whataburger for picking up that turn or did you?;)

Some people:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Don't buy the bull that you are the best paid in the industry, because you are not. Take a look at the total compensation at FDX and UPS and shoot for what they/we have in terms of retirement and work rules. The pay at SWA looks great, just not at the expense of funding your own retirement and how hard you work. IMO SWA pilots need to get a B plan. In fact, a modest 3-5% pay raise and a B plan of 10-12% would be what I would reasonably expect. FWIW, which is not much.

Alot of people confuse "hard" with "efficient". Its not about flight time as much as duty time. I dont believe our avg duty times are any higher than other major pax carrier, and in many cases lower. Low flight time to duty time ratio means alot of sit time. Nothing sucks energy like a few hours on the ground, or sitting thru a middle of the night sort. (in my opinion)

That being said, if the company offers what you think we need, I'd take it. Dont think its going to happen though.

However, I'll agree that a B-Plan is a good thing, if you fly boxes. Not so much in the people arena based on past history....

Some people:rolleyes:

A B-Fund is a employer contribution into a employee owned account. Think of it as a 401K without the requirement of a employee contribution.

A B-fund is a good thing and far better than a 401K plan which has IRS limitations/testing.

Some people!!!

I work for neither, but would love to work for either. What I find interesting is how you seem to have an opinion on how to best run an airline that has never lost money or had a furlough and yet have a pay scale that most any would give thier eye teeth for. Both are outstanding companies, both are well run. Leave it at that.

My only suggestion to both...offer me a job and force me to decide between the two.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back