Post YOUR Info!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So basically you are calling me a liar?

I could say the same thing about you, no? I've had close friends tell me of their experiences. Some during the interview, some during check rides and line flying. It's not like my comments are in a vacuum. This thread alone has another member stating more or less the same thing, and if you do a search for Cathy you'll see the same thing over and over.. Coincidence?

feel free to PM me or post actual proof of the contrary.. like I said, I've always wanted to apply, but the stories made me hold back.

I only have one question. That link you posted, did he actually work for CX or all he did was interviewing?

I only have one question. That link you posted, did he actually work for CX or all he did was interviewing?

it's just one anecdotal example of how this and other websites are filled with such stories, and when you combine this (for me) with the fact that I have first hand accounts from friends who interviewed, and one guy at Gemini who used to work there, that's enough for me.

You have 2 people on this thread right now that have years of actual experience with the airline and, I for one, have no reason to say anything other then the truth.

A. The freighter fleet is about as great a group to fly with as I can imagine. We have some very young captains that are extreamly professional and hands off and The ANC hotel at 5:30pm is a huge social hour and drinking fest.

B. I just did a Line Check and it was more like a laid back line flight then a check ride. It went very well and i'm not the smartest tool in the shed.

C. All the senior Brits and Aussie captains I've flown with have been great as well. I have not seen any of the anti-Americanism for myself just heard about it thorugh the grape vine, and i'm sure some of it was self-induced.

There are negitives here just like anywhere, but take pprune as a comic strip and not as a realistic presentation of the airline culture.

Last edited:
which begs the question... where did all of these stories (some of which I've heard first hand) come from? Also, is maybe your experience on the Freight side not quite indicative of the rest of the fleet?

We all know that one or two bad apples, both the poeple that cause the problems and guys that embelish the truth, can cause alot of stories to generated.

I do know of one or two senior captians that seem to be the epicenter of distasteful remarks, however I have never been part of any organization (Disney World, the Navy, college) that didn't have a couple s---Heads.

I have flown with the head and deputy head of training for the 744 fleet and can honestly say there is NO attitude streaming down from above, they are 100% awesome guys. It is petty little underlings that have a personal beef. Just like you were told in elementery school igonre them and enjoy life.

As far as the freight side, sure there is less of a chance of attitude because I fly with almost all North American pilots, but when I was doing IOE on the PAX side, I didn't see anything negitive either.

Last edited:
I was just chatting with a friend last night; he's been at CX for a year on the 340 as a Hong Kong based cruise FO. As a Yank, he said he's had a wonderful experience there so far. Said the Brits and Aussies were just as great to fly with as most of the guys he used to fly with here at Comair. We have our tools and I'm sure every airline has their fair share!

I'm beginning to take a closer look at CX cargo. Upgrading now on the CRJ, so getting the 1000PIC will be the current priority, but ANC would be a hovercrafter's paradise, and ATL is only 6 hours from home.

I just wish CX had reciprocol j/s privileges!!

Hi!

Emirates:
FO pay is now about $77K, plus bonuses, if the airline makes money (they made money in 2001). The pay to fly you to the interview (U used to have to get there on your own dime). You can reapply after 2 years if rejected (it used to be 1 shot only).

A guy I know is close to 10,000 TT, with 2000 or so 121 PIC. He, however, has NO widebody experience and NO oceanic experience (N. America only).
The Emirates recruiter told him he could go off the street 777 captain at $160K/year! I thought you had to be type rated for capt, but things have changed.

He said they pay for your housing (which I already knew) and give you an interest free loan to buy your car (you have to live in Dubai). Your per diem is about $120/day, and when you arrive at the hotel, the front desk gives you your per diem, cash, in local currency, to cover the length of that particular stay. My buddy is pretty excited about Emirates. He also met a DAL 777 captain who retired at 57 and went to Emirates-he can fly there until he's 65. The DAL guy said it's the best job he's ever had.

cliff
YIP

Hi!

Emirates:
FO pay is now about $77K, plus bonuses, if the airline makes money (they made money in 2001). The pay to fly you to the interview (U used to have to get there on your own dime). You can reapply after 2 years if rejected (it used to be 1 shot only).

A guy I know is close to 10,000 TT, with 2000 or so 121 PIC. He, however, has NO widebody experience and NO oceanic experience (N. America only).
The Emirates recruiter told him he could go off the street 777 captain at $160K/year! I thought you had to be type rated for capt, but things have changed.

He said they pay for your housing (which I already knew) and give you an interest free loan to buy your car (you have to live in Dubai). Your per diem is about $120/day, and when you arrive at the hotel, the front desk gives you your per diem, cash, in local currency, to cover the length of that particular stay. My buddy is pretty excited about Emirates. He also met a DAL 777 captain who retired at 57 and went to Emirates-he can fly there until he's 65. The DAL guy said it's the best job he's ever had.

cliff
YIP

There are some pretty big inaccuracies in that post. Go to the www.emiratesgroupcareers.com website to find the actual pay. A DEC needs 3000 PIC in aircraft above 55 tonnes, not 2000. Per diem on an overnight can be as little as $35 for 24 hours or as much as $120. The average is something closer to $75. It's just enough to buy meals for your time there, not much else. Starting Captain pay, again on the website, is 29,750 Dirhams per month plus an additional 45 Dirhams per scheduled block hour. One Dollar equals 3.68 Dirhams. If you do the math it is no where near $160K/year. It is only when you can take into account the tax advantages of living overseas to say something more correct like: The pay is equivalent to 160K on an after tax take home basis.

The interest free loan for buying a car is only 55,000 Dirhams. Most new cars are over 100,000 Dirhams.

Emirates is a good job, no doubt about it, but it isn't nirvana.

To find out more you could always PM me at the other place.

Typhoonpilot

Latest resources

Back