• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you do it all over again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep sure would have done it again. Where else can I have less TAFB than most jobs ( I average 140 hrs). Work 9-5 hours for the most part except I have 14-15 days off a month. This is the easiest job anyone could ever have. I admit I didn't take the first upgrade and I never will upgrade until I can hold a schedule like this which will probably be never. It's ok because I am still doing pretty good and I hardly work.

Hell, YES!
I've watched icebergs calve into the sea over Greenland, seen the Amazon rainforest on fire stretching for miles from 350 at night, been unable to maintain altitude due to ice over the mountains and felt the rush when I finally landed, then beat the ice off my light twin full of mail and took off again, felt the wheels touch on a 6,6,6 approach, looked down at the Suez and pyramids, drunk margaritas on the beach when mechanical'ed in Cabo, flown medical supplies into war zones where the airport looked like a "Max Max" movie, flown HRs in singles, and seen meteor showers on a black night at 370, with the lights turned down.

I'll bet the guys that wouldn't do it again don't even reduce their ROC to 50' fpm when they break out on top of a solid deck.

What? You'd be happier in a cubicle?

well said.

Hell, YES!
I've watched icebergs calve into the sea over Greenland, seen the Amazon rainforest on fire stretching for miles from 350 at night, been unable to maintain altitude due to ice over the mountains and felt the rush when I finally landed, then beat the ice off my light twin full of mail and took off again, felt the wheels touch on a 6,6,6 approach, looked down at the Suez and pyramids, drunk margaritas on the beach when mechanical'ed in Cabo, flown medical supplies into war zones where the airport looked like a "Max Max" movie, flown HRs in singles, and seen meteor showers on a black night at 370, with the lights turned down.

I'll bet the guys that wouldn't do it again don't even reduce their ROC to 50' fpm when they break out on top of a solid deck.

What? You'd be happier in a cubicle?

I gota tell ya that part about the ice doesnt sound fun.

Hell yes I would do it all over again. I worked as an electrical engineer for 5 years and I was miserable the whole time. Most of the people I see complaining about this gig are folks who never did anything else and don't realize how easy this job is.

Most of the people I see complaining about this gig are folks who never did anything else and don't realize how easy this job is.

Really? Do you have background info on everyone who's posted on this site to make that kind of a statement? There are many more factors that go into deciding whether a job is right for you or not besides how "easy" it is. I'm sure being a telemarketer is about as "easy" a job as there is but I sure wouldn't want to do it.

Really? Do you have background info on everyone who's posted on this site to make that kind of a statement? There are many more factors that go into deciding whether a job is right for you or not besides how "easy" it is. I'm sure being a telemarketer is about as "easy" a job as there is but I sure wouldn't want to do it.

Well said.

Nope, no background info. It's just what I've noticed from talking with the pilots I've flown with. The majority of the older career changers, that I've flown with, like it. The majority of the younger guys, that haven't had another career and that I've flown with, are the ones complaining the most. Please don't take what I said so literally, but then again, what else could I expect from FI.

I'm sure being a telemarketer is about as "easy" a job as there is but I sure wouldn't want to do it.

I did that! It was a popular first job in my town, calling for the special Olympics. I was 16 years old making $400-$600 a week! Part time! dang that was great. Anyway, I was pretty good at it and it was the most stressful job I have ever had. That is when I started smoking :( I made it 11 months and decided there was more to life than calling people during sex and stealing their money and giving 1/3 of it to special kids.

I have also had a regular 8-5 computer IT networking job. Let me tell you, f*ck that.

I had a 8-5 M-F database job, it paid great... once again, f*ck that.

I've worked retail and sales at a few places and I really liked the interaction, but once again.. no thanks.

I was a waiter for 13 days, HAH! Never ever ever again. Not for me.

I worked in a door factory for a month during a summer. I worked in a concrete factory for a month during that same summer. I was bored and wanted some good ole manual labor experience.

Would I do all of this flying stuff over again? Absolutely. There are so many things to complain about in this job, but it is the same as any other job... there is the good and there is the bad. I occasionally find myself regretting my choice, and something happens.. I'll break out on top of a sold overcast layer at night with a full moon. I'll find myself getting chills as the puff ball clouds rush up. I get a huge adrenalin rush hand flying an ILS in poo for weather. The reward of a perfect crosswind landing. The reward of a perfectly executed slam dunk visual followed by a smooth landing. People thanking me for a safe and comfortable flight. Little kids looking at me like I'm a god, and asking me questions about aiwpanes. Hearing a fed or an examiner say that I did an excellent job.

The thing that eats at me the most is that I spend 1/2 my life away from the person I love the most, my wife. We have a great relationship, and she understand my job completely and is fully supportive... but it makes life difficult sometimes.

The pay is not that great, but as long as you work at a decent company you will be doing better than most after 4 years.

All in all, I would not change a thing. The path that I took to get where I am today made me a better and stronger person.

But I do wish I could fly an A-10 and blow sh*t up!!!!!

Latest resources

Back